Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Little Green People

I recently heard about a thought leader in early education who had just learned that it was possible for children who are deaf or hard of hearing to learn to listen and talk. It dawned on him that in modern times, it is no longer necessary to classify children who are DHH as "off on another planet". He said that, "so what you mean to tell me is that deaf children are not on a completely different planet."

That's right, folks. Modern screening and amplification technology make it possible to identify a child as deaf or hard of hearing shortly after birth and then give them the tools they need to learn language on a typical path. It is a hillier, more treacherous path because of all that parents need to do to drive down that path and all that systems must do to pave the way. But it is more possible than ever that by kindergarten, a child who was born deaf can attend a typical school in his or her own neighborhood. That he or she may not need a sign language interpreter because they use the same fluent language as their family and classmates. That he or she can learn reading and math and science and citizenship directly from a mainstream teacher.

I did not know that when Ella was born. I assumed deaf meant silence to and from my daughter. A visual language, I thought, was the only possibility. 

Yesterday, we celebrated my favorite little green people. Not Martians, but leprechauns. Maybe they are a little different but they are from this planet for sure. 

This little lucky charm made my day and reminded me of her amazing achievements and all we have to be thankful for. For us, deafness has given us a rainbow of new knowledge, new friends, new experiences that color our lives. But, this, my friends, is the pot of gold. 

Ella at 4 years, 9 months and 12 days old. Not on another planet or in a far away residential school for the deaf or using a language that is foreign to me. Nope. 

She tells her story in English. Perfect English.

Thank God.
 

 


Some people would say this was luck, and that she is exceptional.  While, as her mother, I do think she is and out-of-the-ordinary amazing kid, I truly believe this is not the exception.  It should be the rule.  Deaf  children do not have to be out of the ordinary to achieve this-- they just have to have the tools in place and the systems in place and the parent commitment in place and the qualified interventionists in place. 

Wait, when I say it like that, it does sound like luck was on our side. 

So, what can we DO to bring the Luck of the Irish to every family with a child who is deaf or hard of hearing?  Let's stop talking about it being "lucky".

Let's just do it. 

For EVERY family who wants it. Let's make deaf children our "little green people" only one day a year-- March 17.

1 comment:

  1. Someone in one of my groups shared your blog on facebook. So I stopped by. I LOVE the name of your blog. I've enjoyed reading your blog. Your life is a lot like mine. I am raising a special needs little boy that I adopted from foster care. He was born with CMV and is profoundly deaf. We are from GA too! I thought that was pretty cool:) Looking forward to any future posts.
    ~Sandy Howell mom2howells.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete